Posted on

Preventing Local Governments from Controlling Your Farming Operation

Anyone who has ever worked in the farming industry will tell you that the only thing you can count on from day to day is uncertainty. Farming truly is, one of the hardest professions anyone can enter, between the early mornings, long days, uncertain weather, and the ever changing rules. It takes a truly committed person to be successful in the agricultural industry.

As people have started to move from the city to rural America, we have begun to see a clash between the expectations of urban Americans and rural America. Let’s face it, farming is a dirty and dangerous job, that doesn’t mix well with the lifestyle of the average urban American. These differences have caused battles to be fought between farmers and their neighbors across America.

Recently, there has been an attempt to change laws, to undermine the ability of farmers to make a living, especially at the local level. In the past decade many local communities have begun passing zoning and other ordinances that are specifically designed to undermine local farmers. They have done this by putting restrictions on local farmers, that restrict their ability to run a successful operation. These ordinances can range from a restriction on the number of animals an operation can have, a maximum size of equipment allowed on roads, prohibitions on the spread of animal waste and the use of eminent domain to take property from farmers to encourage urban development. These ordinances, have had a significant impact on the ability of farmers to operate across this great state, however, the opponents of farming have not stopped there. They have used zoning and nuisance laws to prevent or remove farming operations altogether.

If you are experiencing any of these issues in your local community, don’t try to challenge, or fix these issues by yourself. Instead hire a passionate and experienced attorney who can help protect your rights and the rights of farmers everywhere. When it comes to protecting the rights of farmers, no battle is too small.

Wesley Kottke is an attorney at Petit & Dommershausen, SC.  Before becoming an attorney, he spent his time milking cows and working in the fields on his family’s 1500-acre dairy farm. This experience gives him a unique prospective, that allows him to truly understand the problems, and issues facing farmers today. Attorney Wesley Kottke, is eager to put his knowledge of the law and the agriculture industry to work for you. Attorney Kottke serves Green Bay, Oshkosh, Fond du Lac and the rest of the great state of Wisconsin. He can be reached at (920) 231-0699.

Posted on

My spouse is having an affair, can I file for divorce? Or maybe my spouse isn’t having affair, can I still file?

You absolutely can file for divorce in either circumstance, but infidelity (aka cheating spouse syndrome) is not a requirement for divorce in Wisconsin. Of course, infidelity can be the reason a spouse files for divorce, but the only required basis to file for divorce in Wisconsin is that the marriage is irretrievably broken.

When a marriage is irretrievably broken it simply means there is no chance at reconciliation or no likelihood of repairing the marital relationship. Whatever the reason may be that you are ending your marriage, so long as it isn’t something you both can move past and make work, you have grounds to file for divorce. Additionally, if a couple has lived separately for 12 months consecutively or continuously, the court will make an automatic finding that the marriage is irretrievably broken.

Because there are no required grounds for filing divorce in Wisconsin we are considered a no fault divorce state. Neither spouse has to be sleeping around or doing anything wrong at all in order to initiate the process: “it’s just not working anymore” will suffice.

Thinking about filing? Going through a divorce or separation is a tough and emotional process, so let us help you through it. Contact Attorney Britteny LaFond at Petit & Dommershausen today at 920-739-9900 for a free consultation.